Water indoor plants less frequently, and discontinue fertilizer as plants slow down or stop growing for the winter season.
- Harvest pumpkins and winter squash before frost, but when rind is hard and fully colored. Store in cool location until ready to use.
- Asparagus top growth should not be removed until foliage yellows. Let foliage stand over winter to collect snows for insulation and moisture.
- Plant garlic cloves for next summer’s harvest.
- Replace your worn out annuals with fall blooming ones.
- Continue to mow the lawn if necessary.
- Drain and store garden hoses and sprinklers for winter.
- Get your pond ready for the winter season. Put all of your perennial pond plants to the bottom of the deepest part of your pond. I leave my pump running all winter (take off the fountain head) All my fish and frogs survive.
- Make notes of your annuals plantings, to know what did well for you and where.
- Do not cut back your ornamental grasses till spring.